[600MRG] Regen Rx? I'm Missing Something?

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat Feb 24 19:43:31 CST 2018

On 24 Feb 2018 at 17:09, Steve wrote:

> > 1) where did you get that delightful dial? I've been looking for one of
> > those for years.
>
> From Gary at Playthings of The Past

OK. I'll contact him.

\> > 3) In my opinion, the Paraset's receiver is very crude, and I suspect the
> > designers of the
> > Paraset expended far more sweat on the design of the transmitter than the
> > receiver.
>
> The RX basic design is solid but it definitely needed some massage...in the
> ant coupling department and the bandspreading.

And in the early versions, impedance coupling to the headphones. As I say on my website, I
have seen at least 6 different, and I mean significantly different, schematics for the Paraset.
Another problem with the receiver is that there is no possibility for monitoring of one's own
sending.

> Once refined the receiver is
> superb...every bit as good as National's SW-3.

Which is as good as ny decent simple regen.

> I don't think there is anything at all fancy about the transmitter...just a
> basic grid-plate power oscillator. It worked well right from the get go.

What I found most interesting about the transmitter was the very extensive capability for
matching almost any antenna load.

On the other hand, I never liked using any sort of "beam tube" as an oscillator.

Ken W7EKB

> Steve
>

> WEB - "The VE7SL Radio Notebook":  http://qsl.net/ve7sl/
>
> VE7SL BLOG - "Homebrewing and Operating Adventures From 2200m to Nanowaves":
> http://ve7sl.blogspot.ca/

---