[600MRG] Blanking the HADGPS

Paul Signorelli w0rw1 at msn.com
Thu Sep 28 21:52:48 CDT 2017

My local HADGPS station (Pueblo, CO) is sending very strong 20 uS pulses at about a 8.2 mS rep rate.

I can hear them all the way up to 480 kHz. (The K3s needs the special  LF  KXV3B filter for 600 meters).

I got my K3s down on the primary frequency, 458 kHz, and heard the data spikes S9.

Then I switched the Noise Blanker on but It was not set up for strong enough blanking.

The K3s has 2 Noise Blankers (DSP and IF).

I had to move the DSP blanking level up to T2-7

T2 is the relative pulse integration and the second number is the blanking level.

Then I still heard some of the pulses so I moved the

IF Noise Blanker up to Wide 7 (Wide blanking pulse width), 7 being more aggressive.

That cut all the pulse noise out of the receiver right on the main 458 kHz frequency.

 This reduced the signal strengths a little bit but I could copy wspr stations on 475 kHz pretty well.

The K3s has pretty strong and adjustable noise blanking systems.

Then I just  hit "CONFIG:NB SAVE", set it to "YES" and all those NB settings are now saved for that band.

Every time I switch to 630 meters those NB settings will be applied and the HADGPS noise generator

will be gone.

Paul   w0rw