[600MRG] 600m antenna choices..

Dave Riley dave.riley3 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 22 06:15:16 CDT 2017

Steve, good to hear from you...

Yes, I shoot the HV dog fence wire up over the high pine trees using a
compound bow to obtain the 600' circumference but smaller will work well
also especially with LOW 'R' wire like litz...

The HV vacuum variable cap. is located here in the bud rack with ONE
piece of wire leaving through a wall insulator, up and over the trees
and back to the other side of the cap... No feed line, no tuner, no big
bux $$..
This allows me to resonate the loop from 17khz to about 800 khz with ease...
Next is to couple the loop through a suitable toroid to a secondary
winding ( about one to one turns ) to the RX/TX relay but that is only
one way...

Now I run full QSK here by doing the following;  Instead of using the
toroid and relay I use 6 turns of HV wire in series with the loop wound
over the bottom end of the TX final PA variometer ( transmitter output )...
For receive I place an e-probe near the top of the variometer and this
eliminates a need for clanky relays etc.. Pure, clean QSK...
Yes on bi-directional and high Q.. So for one piece of wire and one
capacitor I get to couple in to the HV lines going by the house headed
NE to the salt water with great results to the NE ( EU )...

Simple is best, so why try to heat the ground with radials?? Especially
on top of silica soil ( like in free space )...

My 2 cents...  TNX and good luck from Dave, AA1A

=======================

Hi Dave,

That is one massive-sized loop! You must be using trees for the vertical
elements. No trees anywhere near that  height here in desert AZ; would
have to put up masts. But my question is how do you couple to it as a
receive antenna; there must be some sort of matching to the receiver
feedline. You didn't mention any of that, thus my question. Also sounds
like you're fixed-tuned for a narrow receiving freq range if you're
using a vacuum cap. I assume loop is bi-directional too.

73,

Steve AA7U