[600MRG] Stainless Antenna Wire Continued

William E. Isakson bill.isakson at gmail.com
Mon May 8 13:55:37 CDT 2017

Stainless is probably not in the programs, Frank, because the program does
not cover a hysteresis effect.  The hysteresis losses would change with
frequency, lower frequencies being worse.
Just for the record, the scientific work I did long ago was in the magnetic
properties of iron containing materials.   Hysteresis was not my main
theme, though iron, chrome, and nickel were all major in our projects, but
it is a big issue and its effects certainly appeared.   Our frequencies for
modulation of fields were much lower than you are using but even at 630
meters or 160 meters, stainless would show hysteresis energy absorption.  I
suppose if you were at the south pole you might use it for a heating effect
to clear the ice from the antenna,something that would require some
experimentation to find out.
I really would not use stainless (or iron) antennae for serious radio,
Frank, although I note that many of those 2 meter and 440 whips that were
so common on autos were indeed stainless.
Bill

--------

Bill Isakson     AC6QV
Roseburg, Oregon USA