[600MRG] Stainless Antenna Wire Continued

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Sat May 6 06:04:05 CDT 2017

In a recent posting I asked about using stainless steel antenna mast guy wires as part of the radiating system.  Thank you for the replies including the direct e-mails to me. I decided to use EZNEC 6.0 to model a few comparative examples.  These models might give me a little more insight whether or not a more exotic guy wire material / construction would be necessary.

To start, I will model simple antennas using two different materials, such as the antenna using only 18-8 stainless, or only copper.

 EZNEC 6.0 gives the user the opportunity to select a few different antenna materials, but not stainless.  EZNEC 5.0 has a little longer list of wire materials, but not stainless.   However, the user can input his choice of wire material by inputting two units of measure for that material:

 1 - Resistivity in ohm-meter
 2 - Relative permeability, reference copper = 1. (All the EZNEC materials 5 & 6 choices have a permeability of 1, but none of the materials are alloys of iron.)

 Can someone suggest an online source for the two above units of measure for materials such as stainless 18-8, 316, 302 ?  And, for the $64 question, does the magnitude of these these units  vary with frequency?  I would think the permeability of iron bearing alloys does. The frequencies of interest (in round numbers) are 0.500 MHz, 50 MHz and 150 MHz.

 Thank you and 73  Frank K3DZ / WH2XHA