[600MRG] Power Supply Ideas

John Andrews w1tag at charter.net
Mon Feb 27 09:24:50 CST 2017

Steve,

On 2/27/2017 7:14 AM, Steve Flood wrote:
> I have built a Class D transmitter kit from G0MRF.  I am now in need of
> building or buying a power supply.

Just a thought -- Is there a compelling need for a regulated supply in
power amplifier applications? High power audio amplifiers don't use
them, and neither do tube HF power amplifiers.

Voltage drop under load can be minimized by the choice of a husky
transformer, sufficient filter capacitance and good wiring practices.
My 200 watt 2200/630M Class D amp has an unregulated supply, and seems
to do fine. And it has a variable autotransformer on the AC line which
allows a wide range of transmitter output power.

John, W1TAG