[600MRG] Power Supply Ideas

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Mon Feb 27 08:46:19 CST 2017

A suggestion - The "Mastech HY3005F-3" power supply, or something similar.  I have one of these for my 630 meter setup.  It is an adjustable and reasonably well regulated linear supply with a current fold-back feature.  This model allows me to parallel the unit's 2 adjustable supplies. (By trial and error I know this voltage is goof  / idiot proof.) If I follow my "SOP for startup and shut down," I can conveniently lower the supply's voltage to something like 14 VDC for a cold-startup. If all seems well, I then "slowly" bring up the power supply voltage to where I want to be.  There are numerous parts houses distributing this brand of power supply.

Thinking out loud - (1) There's nothing wrong with the 3-terminal regulator chip / paralleled 2N3055 approach - if you can scare up a suitable power transformer.  For Class D amplifier application, you do not need "gnat's eyelash" regulation and super quiet filtering.  Be careful, too high of a raw DC voltage taxes the series pass regulator design. (2) Why not an adjustable output voltage switching power supply?  On receive your TR system can "switch off" the switching power supply if the model switcher you chose is to noisy for the band(s) you listen on.  Maybe somebody out there already does this?

When I purchased my ICOM 746PRO a number of years ago there was a promotion, buy the rig, get the companion ICOM switching power supply for freebie.  At that time I had a few linear design fixed voltage 13.6 VDC supplies.  I used one of the linear power supplies  for my new ICOM.  However at a later date I wound up using the freebie ICOM switcher for my ICOM plain-Jane 706 on 2, 6 and 10 meters.   No problems.  Of course, a testimonial for 2, 6 and 10 meters is not a rock solid endorsement for adequacy below the AM Broadcast band.  Maybe someone can expand on the quietness of new design switching power supplies for 600 / 630 / 2200 meter applications? After all, in recent years, if my memory serves me correct,  all the "name brand"  transceiver manufacturers offer only switching supplies for their products...is that correct?

73 Frank Lotito  K3DZ / WH2XHA   grid square FN00