[600MRG] Power Supply Ideas

Steve Flood kk7uv at bresnan.net
Mon Feb 27 06:14:11 CST 2017

I have built a Class D transmitter kit from G0MRF.  I am now in need of
building or buying a power supply.

Ideally I would like something variable from 18-24v, and linear regulated.
The most likely operating condition for the supply will be 20v at around 6
amps.   My existing Acopian supply is a fixed 24v/5A.  I see numerous cheap
switching supplies on the web that operate 0-30v and 0-20A, but I am not
fond of switching supplies.

While looking at homebrew designs I see the use of three-terminal regulators
such as the LM338 and pass transistors like the 2N3055.   These devices and
designs are now seemingly becoming obsolete.

I have not been able to find 'modern' homebrew designs on the web.  So I am
now wondering if anyone in the group can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Steve KK7UV/WH2XNV

---