[600MRG] More antenna anthology

Dave Riley dave.riley3 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 7 13:42:24 CST 2017

What matching network??

I'm getting to be an old broken record but the best performance on 630m
here after several years and various tries at antennas is:
Can I have the envelope please??

1. No ground radials,not even a house ground is needed...
2. Cost is cheap-cheap...
3. Must work from 17.2khz up to 80 and 160m ( and very well )...
4. A total of TWO parts

OK, go buy a roll of this:  approx 50 bux for 500 feet... 9 strand
copper #14...
Never has broken here... The best that I can make it break down is some
corona @ 20kv...
#1 part
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-AWG-Monster-Dog-Dog-Fence-Wire-45-mil-LD-Polyethylene-Solid-Copper-2-DBYConn-/251422848815?var=&hash=item3a89f8372f:m:mxTook5CSzmQDgJxgVaqtOg
GREAT HV insulation so you don't need insulators in high pine trees,
just a compound bow.. This one @ 600' circumference has been up for 6
years and still works DX every night... KH6 to SV8 Rx/Tx, weather does
not affect tuning...
#2 part
A good variable cap. total of around 700pf will do, a vacuum for QRO and
normal for QRP...great for NDBs and GPS stations

OK, one end of the wire leaves the shack through an insulator, goes
straight up about 65' then SW about 200+ feet, then drops down to near
ground and back to shack, voila, a nice loop essentially in free space...
Hung with poly rope with NO insulators...

tuned to 630m...
A piece of double sided PC board with a clip next to the wire feed is
placed next to an Amrad like e-probe...
I've been using high voltage J fets from Russia for about 5 bux each and
they will never burn out here with this power ( about 35 watts )...
If you want to get selectivity place one turn of the loop wire around
the cold end of a variometer and place the e-probe up at the 'hot' end,
then tune and enjoy only a few khz. of 630m, the junk signals disappear
at the same time...

OK so I have lousy rotten ground < .5 millimhos/meter, GREAT for
loops!!!  Hot dam!!! More lemonade...

Strapping a capacitor decade box across the vacuum cap and the loop
makes for tuning down to 17.2 khz. and it
ALWAYS hears SAQ Grimeton, Sweden transmissions...
Usually QRK5 with paper and pencil...

I place a W1TAG design ferrite doughnut around the loop wire to monitor
RF current and to help with tuning...
http://www.w1tag.com/RFA.htm ( great project and re-learn )

The e-probe hears in between CW characters so is QSK 24/7... Full break
in, no relays, keep it simple...

Directional Arrays ( DA ) on 630?? U betcha... No sense sending RF to
Capetown, put it in one of the two lobes NE/SW here...
Article coming soon on this one... Didn't think a DA was possible with
the easy loop and 'other wires' out back tuned for best direction...
It's something like Dallas Lankford's 'noise cancellor' only for transmit...
http://ve7sl.blogspot.com/2015/03/phasers-on-medium-wave.html  ( runs
super duper on 630m offending noise )

Thanks from DaveR WD2XSH/17