[600MRG] the neon bulb

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Fri Dec 1 14:08:49 CST 2017

I just remembered my solution (and other peoples too) for this problem when
I was a boy first getting started in ham radio (>60 years ago).  I couldn't
afford an RF ammeter.  On the advice of a older mentor I used a simple neon
bulb with a loop of wire between the terminals.  In the initial tuning I
placed the bulb fairly close to the base and tuned for maximum brightness.
Very soon the brightness saturates but all I had to do was progressively
move the bulb/loop further away to keep the sensitivity.  In my case I was
using a tuner and I could see the antenna base from the shack window.
Working at night so I could see the brightness at a distance, the bulb/loop
worked like a charm, with a few trips to and fro.

John's suggestion of an SWR bridge is very post WWll but also a very good
idea and well worth the small effort required.  I seem to remember some of
the older ham, who were still using open wire lines, using two bulbs and
some wire loops to create an SWR indicator.  Cheap, cheap, cheap!

73, Rudy N6LF