[600MRG] U3S with T/R relay

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Wed Nov 2 10:54:38 CDT 2016

Steve,

I  spent about an hour going thru the U3S instruction page and not
finding enough info on it to give you specific ideas.  I had no prior
knowledge about this "kit".  Definitely a computer/qrp wonky project
so have you talked with the designer or operators group?

What RF output does the basic unit run?  If at mw level then one
could use a pin diode to hold output off while the standard "+5v Key"
would control a sequencer.  The sequencer would control TR relay and
key ext amplifier before the sequencer final stage would bias the pin
diode ckt to pass RF.

This is only workable if U3S operates in 1-50mw range.  If it outputs
a few watts or more, then one needs to understand the internal ckt of
the U3S to intercept the Tx control line.  That will require pcb
mods.  That is a question for the U3S designer.

If you want any help understanding sequencers or pin diode TR ckts I
may be able to help.  I built a 2m 40mw pin diode RF switch into 2m
80w amps I built.

GL & 73, Ed - KL7UW