[600MRG] E-Field Probe Antennas

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Tue May 31 13:07:14 CDT 2016

In recent weeks the 600mrg bulletin board had a few discussions on E-Field Probe antennas.  I am still having trouble understanding how E-Field antennas work. I have a few questions regarding the effect(s) of the ground lead / ground stake / radial system / mast immediately below the probe.

The length of the ground path to the ground stake / radial system / or grounded mast mast may be a few inches long, to many-many feet long, even longer than the probe antenna itself.  This ground is far from ideal, ideal being 0 +j0 ohms, my experience tells me that some sort of antenna still exists if we disconnect the E-Probe and replace the probe with a simulated antenna, but leave the ground system / matching transformer / FET follower with its transformer coupling in place.

My gut feeling is if we disconnect the probe antenna (whip) and replace it with a simulated antenna, we are very likely not going to hear only the receiver's self-generated noise.  We will hear signals (maybe), atmospheric noise, or interfering signals due to man-made emissions.  The reason - Ground loops?  Buried antenna phenomena, alla well casting antenna and the like?   Can someone review what could be the reason(s) we still hear signals / atmospheric noise / etc. when the probe is replaced with a simulated antenna?

Frank Lotito  K3DZ / WH2XHA