[600MRG] E-Field Probe Antennas

Brian Pease bpease2 at myfairpoint.net
Tue May 31 15:33:57 CDT 2016

See below for a copy of simulations I reported last year on how an
"E-field" antenna really works at VLF/LF.  The "antenna" starts at the
top of the "probe", continues down the outside of the coax feedline, and
ends at ground level or at the level where a large ground plane is
present and connected to the coax feed.  The high impedance E-field
amplifier can be inserted anywhere top to ground. There is enough
information to do the simulation.  Heff (mtrs) multiplied by the
incoming field strength in V/mtr gives the output RF voltage of the
simulation.

I just ran a NEC4.2 simulation of a 0.15 meter vertical on top of a 10m
pole, and also for the same antenna on a 1m pole.  This is a rough
analysis. It could be done with any version of NEC.  The "pole"
represents the shield of the coax feedline of the voltage probe antenna
and is connected to perfect ground at the bottom.  I placed a 1 megohm
resistor between the antenna and the top of each pole, then noted the
voltage drop across the resistor  for an applied 1 Volt/meter vertical
Electric  field at each frequency. The received voltage is also
(approximately) the Effective Height (Heff) of the antenna.  Incoming
field strength X Effective Height (mtrs) = open circuit received voltage.
_Freq MHz  Heff on 10m pole   Heff on 1m pole_
0.1                      13.8m                       1.34m
0.5                      17.4                           1.75
1.0                      17.8                           1.84
2.0                      19.0                           1.89
4.0                      25.7                           1.91
6.5                      136.8                         1.92
7.5                      48.6                           1.92
30.0                    0.44m                       2.19

At LF and MF where the 10m pole is short compared to 1/4 wavelength, the
gain in received signal strength is proportional to the relative heights
of the 2 poles.  At HF, the 10m pole becomes 1/4 wave resonant near
6.5MHz, causing a huge peak in received signal strength, and possible
overload of the amplifier in the antenna. The probe on the 1m pole has a
nice nearly flat response from 0.1-30MHz.
Conclusions?  I have a low frequency Voltage probe antenna on an 8m
pole, grounded at the base.  It has a low pass filter that cuts in in
the BC band, so HF is greatly attenuated.  The received signal level at
VLF-MF are so high that no preamp is needed at the receiver.
If HF reception is also desired, then I would follow the AMRAD ideas and
either mount it on a short pole out in the open, with a ground rod at
the base, or up on a roof with a piece of ground screen.  It would be
interesting to try grounding to a metal roof
Note that if you ground the probe right at its housing, the signal
levels will be _very_ low because, as noted above, the true antenna
height is from the ground point to the tip of the probe.
The NEC4.2 punch card format input is as follows (I don't use the GUI to
input data)
CM 0.15 meter monopole on 10 meter grounded support over perfect ground
GW 1,101,0,0,0,0,0,10.1,0.002 ! 10.1 mtr vertical wire at origin, 4mm dia.
GE 1,0 ! Ground plane present, wire will be grounded to it.
LD 4,1,100,100,1E6,0 ! 1 meg resistor 9.95 mtrs up wire (at center of
segment 100).
LD 5,0,0,0,58.1E6 ! All Wire is copper
GN 1,0,0,0 ! Perfect ground.
EX 1,1,1,0,90,0,0,1,1,0,1 ! 1V/m vertical E field along x axis.
FR 0,61,0,0,0.500,0.500 ! Freq 500kHz - 30.5MHz
CM FR 0,1,0,0,0.100,0 ! Freq 100kHz
XQ
EN
Note that if you run a ground wire from your roof to Earth, your results
will be closer to the 10m pole above because the ground wire will be
part of the antenna.