[600MRG] 630 meters receive antenna question

Eric NO3M no3m at no3m.net
Sat May 21 12:48:32 CDT 2016

Length will affect external noise (ie. propagated noise, "signal", etc.)
to some extent.  See this writeup with diagrams:

http://dl1dbc.net/SAQ/miniwhip.html

System noise, however, is not affected by the whip length, but rather
the amplifier's NF, common-mode, and other "system" factors.   As long
as system noise is below propagated noise, performance should be similar
to a standard vertical in terms of SNR, which is what matters when
trying to decipher intelligible "signals".  On LF/MF, with the
considerably higher average noise temperature, it's relatively easy to
accomplish that with care in the amplifier design and adequate
common-mode choking.  Locally generated noise/interference is also an
issue and why these types of antennas are recommended to be mounted well
away from any local noise sources.

A shorted whip, E-probe, or high-impedance antenna (whatever you want to
call it) is a convenience antenna, but not a compromise antenna if
properly designed and mounted, as compared to a large vertical.  By
nature of what it is, it will not provide any directivity in relation to
propagated noise / signal nor nulling of local noise.  Observed
performance differences with say a transmit vertical are probably more
incidental in nature than by design, and in most cases, related to local
noise infiltration, where the mounting of the short, amplified vertical
just happens to pick up less locally generated noise or visa versa.

73 Eric NO3M / WG2XJM