[600MRG] 630 meters receive antenna question

William E. Isakson bill.isakson at gmail.com
Thu May 19 12:41:08 CDT 2016

Yes Jim, I am using a 5 foot vertical up on a mast with a active preamp for
receive.  It works pretty good.   Comparison is hard for me to give because
when I was using a top loaded transmit antenna for receive that worked
considerably better,  but I do know that my ultra weak transmit signal was
received by a small mobile antenna used with a preamp from the San
Francisco Bay Area to Oklahoma.   Still I can say with certainty that my
small antenna with preamp is no match for Rudy's set 45 miles north of my
current location in Oregon.   Does generally work though.  The thing about
active antennae is that they are a voltage probe antenna, not a current
antenna, so the length is not a big factor.  As I understand it you might
get less noise with shorter ones, but not less signal.  That is, 4 feet
might be better than 8 feet.

Bill Isakson WD2XSH/44

--------

Bill Isakson     AC6QV