[600MRG] measuring noise level ?

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Jul 17 13:25:08 CDT 2016

The only equipment I trust for s-meter calib is my Elecraft radios;
they specifically spec them S9 = 50uv and S3 = 1uv.  S9 is rated at
-73 dBm for HF and -79 dBm (I think - going from memory) for
VHF+.  Not sure why the disparity in the
spec.  http://www.moseleysb.com/mb/mv2dbm.html

I use -73 dBm as my std for signal measurements on all freqs.  I
built and sold transverters so provided MDS measurements for my customers.

I do not hold any reverence to over S9 readings.  Best to have a step
attenuator and turn off AGC is you are making precise readings over S9.

73, Ed - KL7UW

At 09:36 AM 7/17/2016, Glen Zook wrote:
>Actually, I have a number of "S" meters that are properly calibrated
>at S-9 = 50 microvolts and are pretty accurate above, and below,
>S-9.  However, I do agree that the majority of "S" meters,
>especially on "modern" transceivers, are not properly calibrated and
>are, in general, "very" generous!
>

>I hear reports of 40 dB over S-9, and even 60 dB over S-9, being
>given on a regular basis.  The signal level required for a 40 dB
>over S-9 is 5,000 microvolts and for a 60 dB over S-9 is a whopping
>50,000 microvolts when S-9 is 50 microvolts.  The Japanese
>manufacturers got into a "war" quite a while back with each claiming
>that "their" radios were more sensitive than those made by the other
>manufacturers.  However, basically, all that they did was to change
>the calibration of the "S" meter so that it read higher with a
>considerably lower signal level.  But, the average operator, these
>days, just accepts what the meter reads and, as such, gives out a
>higher reading than what a properly calibrated "S" meter reads.
>

>Glen, K9STH
>
>Website: http://k9sth.net

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com