[600MRG] measuring noise level ?

Glen Zook gzook at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 17 12:36:27 CDT 2016

Actually, I have a number of "S" meters that are properly calibrated at S-9 = 50 microvolts and are pretty accurate above, and below, S-9.  However, I do agree that the majority of "S" meters, especially on "modern" transceivers, are not properly calibrated and are, in general, "very" generous!

I hear reports of 40 dB over S-9, and even 60 dB over S-9, being given on a regular basis.  The signal level required for a 40 dB over S-9 is 5,000 microvolts and for a 60 dB over S-9 is a whopping 50,000 microvolts when S-9 is 50 microvolts.  The Japanese manufacturers got into a "war" quite a while back with each claiming that "their" radios were more sensitive than those made by the other manufacturers.  However, basically, all that they did was to change the calibration of the "S" meter so that it read higher with a considerably lower signal level.  But, the average operator, these days, just accepts what the meter reads and, as such, gives out a higher reading than what a properly calibrated "S" meter reads.

 Glen, K9STH