[600MRG] Ferrite antennas

Warren K2ORS k2ors at verizon.net
Tue Feb 16 08:05:56 CST 2016

There are limits to the effective area of a ferrite loop which can be
overcome with a large air-core loop. Ferrite increases the effective
capture area of the antenna, but there are asymptotic limits. There are
a number of papers on the subject with both theoretical and experimental
results that back this up. If you want to do real DX you will need
something better than a ferrite loop.

Ribbon cable is a poor choice for a multi-turn loop as the close
proximity of the turns results in a high capacitance between turns and a
limits the tuning range and Q. Ribbon cable is also made up of thin
diameter wire which has a relatively high resistance (recall the skin
effect at RF increases the effective resistance compared to DC), this
further degrades the Q.

Almost anything will work to a degree, it's often the case that the ham
with one antenna and nothing else to compare it to thinks that he has
the best antenna in the world :-)

73 Warren K2ORS