[600MRG] Ferrite antennas

Marshall Cross mcross at megawave.com
Tue Feb 16 09:09:32 CST 2016

Couple of thoughts: 1) The virtue of ferrite loaded loops is that you can obtain the same (or better) sensitivity and directivity as a large air core loop using a much smaller structure. 2) At 500 kHz (+/-), performance is usually externally (manmade and atmospheric) noise limited so, unless the receive site is in a quiet manmade noise area and operation is during an atmospheric-noise quiet season/time of day, the sensitivity (sometimes called effective height) of the loop isn't important until its thermal noise combined with that of its LNA (if used) and the receiver, begins to equal external noise. Bottom line, the ferrite serves as a flux gathering mechanism (good) but at the same time increases the loops's inductance (bad), the latter being so since reactance leads to stored energy which lowers the performance of electrically small loops, and for that matter, all electrically small antennas. Lowering the inductance can be accomplished using alternative winding strategies and core configurations.

In my opinion, one of the better tutorials on air and ferrite core electrically small loops is in R.C. Hansen's seminal book: "Electrically Small, Superdirective and Superconducting Antennas," sections 1.3.3 through 1.3.3.4, Wiley Interscience, 2006. This book is also very entertaining to read in that it exposes many of what he calls "nut-house antennas," many of which are foolish, and as he points out on page 85: "Foolishness if pursued, can lead to denial and that sometimes leads to fraud," taken from "Voodo Science" by Robert Park, Oxford Univ. Press,2000.

  73, Marshall, W1HK