[600MRG] Do you feel 630-meters is practical for ham use?

William E. Isakson bill.isakson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:38:35 CDT 2015

Yes Steve.  That was my purpose in participating, to show that it could be
done as a practical matter.   I ran a station near San Francisco for a
while at less than 1/2 watt out from my apartment, yes, that is apartment,
a four unit apartment house.   I used a mid loaded vertical total height
about 38 feet and my total actual dirt space was about 5 feet X 23 feet.  I
was able to receive with this and also transmit.   There were no nearby
stations to receive, though one person across the bay without an antenna
said he could not hear it, but again, he did not have an antenna for the
band.   I had a positive reception report from Oklahoma on CW mode.  He was
using a modern active receiving antenna.    I moved to another bay area
location, a home with a city lot and got similar results with an 18 foot
tall top loaded antenna at a half watt or less.   At both locations field
trips with a mobile radio on a 40 meter hamstick for reception showed
strong signals up to 3 or 4 miles away, even on the non-resonant short (5
foot) antenna.
I think the band is viable and that what some are seeing as low power
limits are actually quote strong enough for common use.
Bill Isakson

--------

Bill Isakson     AC6QV
Roseburg, Oregon USA