[600MRG] 639m Access: Part 5 or Part 97?

Michael Mussler mmussler at wispertel.net
Tue Mar 24 09:10:09 CDT 2015

There’s another angle on the status of the 630m ham band that hasn’t been covered by the recent discussion. Has the flurry of Part 5 applications for access to this part of the spectrum had some bearing on the FCC consideration for the Part 97 (Amateur) allocation? As someone pointed out, Parts 5 and 97 are totally separate in the FCC regulations. Is it possible that the Part 5 license activity has delayed the Part 97 request as an attempt to consider possible conflicts between future uses of this spectrum?

I’m not making any judgements one way or the other about the utility of the Part 5 licenses for 630m access. I honestly don’t know how the FCC views or manages these matters and pose this question with the hope that someone more familiar with the process can weigh in.

73
Mike
AI8Z
WD2XSH/12