[600MRG] Measuring power

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Mar 22 18:28:52 CDT 2015

A few (very few) comments:

At 10:07 AM 3/22/2015, sbjohnston at aol.com wrote:

> >Any news on aband for USA?
>
>Not that I've heard.  I'm getting the impression that the passive,
>wait-and-see approach being taken by US amateurs regarding a 630m
>allocation is not working.
>
>I've contacted my reps and officers at the ARRL several times over
>the past few years since the international spectrum folks decided
>there could be a ham band at 475 kHz and was told each time that
>they are working with the FCC on this issue.  But I got the
>impression in each case that they were not actively lobbying for it
>- just asked nicely and waited.
>
>It is also clear to me that this has a low priority with the
>Commission.  If no one is pushing for it, and no one at the FCC is
>excited about it, then it will probably never happen.
>
>If even a tenth of the effort and enthusiasm were put into this
>issue as is being expended on the current "Amateur Radio Parity Act"
>then we'd have an amateur allocation in short order.

Yep.  Perhaps if Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu "sniffed" making a few
"mega-bucks" selling 600m ham gear it would get attention.  If
Verizon thought 600m would work good for cell phones it would have
happened in a washington micro-second.

Makes me thankful I did not invest $10-20K into manufacturing
transverters for the "new ham band".

BUT, we should be thankful that the FCC is agreeable with assigning
experimental licenses to those that are "really" interested in
exploring 600-630m.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"