[600MRG] Measuring power

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 22 15:08:49 CDT 2015

The original petition, IIRC, was for 1 or 5 watts EIRP... My first year I ran 1W ERP (or close to it) and had great success but had to pick and choose my battles.. Since doing a mod for 10w ERP, just about anything goes...  5W EIRP is not unreasonable and very servicable but you have to pick and choose your battles and plan on good antennas, both RX and TX.  I would not expect a few hundred watts except maybe to the coax in the shack from a PA..

I've stopped trying to worry about "when" because thats completely out of my control - its out of anyones control here.  Instead I sell the fact that OET is more than happy to issue Part 5 grants and they seem to be granting just about anything you ask for.  In the bullpen right now is N3CXV who will be WH2XRR once his grant is completed.  There  should be a few more forthcoming based on recent conversations.  Most of us that are QRV now on 475 are there for the love of radio and love of the mystery of MF and also the associated nostalgia.  Some of us got bored with conventional ham radio and what it means today. That said, why not control the situation that you can if you want to play on the band now and file an app.  Does it matter that its not a ham band here now in the grander scheme of things?  I do NOT expect a large number of successful operators to magically show up on the band once the band opens.  We all know there are a lot of moving parts to getting a successful station on the air and the average ham is not interested in fooling with that.  I know because I talk to those people all the time... In short, If you want to play, you can absolutely do so now with minimal effort.  You just have to ask the questions to get it done right...

73,
John KB5NJD / WG2XIQ..