[600MRG] NOI / comment period open?

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 07:36:55 CDT 2015

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your comments.  I agree 100%.

I think the confusion, at least for me, is that I have been watching the FR
for publication to signal the forward progress, in accordance with the
process specified by the ARRL in the last paragraph of this distribution:
http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-proposes-to-permit-amateur-access-to-2200-and-630-meters
.  Having never been actively involve in a band allocation and acquisition
process, I have no idea what to expect and I think there are many others in
the same situation.

Due to local email problems, I missed much of the discussion on lowfer that
was detailed by John Davis so it really was dumb luck that I stumbled onto
Steve McDonald's commentary and information.  I hope I didn't stir
something up, even though this is public information if you know where to
look.

As there has been little information and direction here thus far, the only
realistic conclusion that I can draw at this time is that this is a chess
match between interested parties including the ARRL, Utilities, those of us
that are independent ops, and maybe other competing interests.  Furthermore
I would guess that the high value interested parties are withholding their
comments until the last minute to prevent rebuttal from "the other side".
That may seem obvious to everyone else, but having no experience in this
process, its not obvious to me.  And I may still be incorrect on all of
this.

I would like some direction as this proceeds and it seems of tremendous
value for all of us to be on the same page.  It was Tecumseh that said a
single twig breaks but a bundle is strong.  With all of the experience on
these bands, some well thought out and consistent discussion points sure
seem like they would be of interest and value.

At the moment I am working on my talking points based on my personal on-air
experience.  I won't file a comment until I know that its time.  Some
digging suggests that it is ok to comment now but we won't know about the
closing date of the comment period until publication in the FR.  I suppose
all of that makes sense.

If there is any wisdom that can be imparted on this matter without showing
too many cards, I and I am sure others would be interested in hearing it.

Thanks and 73,

John KB5NJD / WG2XIQ