[600MRG] Modifying a MFJ259C

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Mon Jun 1 20:27:45 CDT 2015

Robert,

That is problem using wide-band test equipment.  I am lucky that the
nearest AM station (920-KHz) is 15 miles distant and apparently not a
problem.  However, I have RGPS station on 310-KHz that is only 3mi
away and presents a carrier at -30 dBm on my antenna.  Didn't appear
it was a problem, either.

I was able to measure the R of my antenna at 20-ohms and was able to
tune my base loading coil for zero reactance.  This was verified by a
good SWR on the coax 100-foot+ away in the shack and an RF ammeter
reading of 1.4A at 100w RF output.  50-ohm matching was done by
tapping coils near ground end of the base loading coil.

I wonder if one were to use one of the BC band filters (Clifton Labs
Z10020) if that would suppress BC overload?  The filter removes all
signals above 600-KHz for me (550 comes thru at a very reduced power
of -100 dBm from a station 70-miles north of me).
73, Ed - KL7UW