[600MRG] Lightweight coil construction

Pat Hamel pehamel at cableone.net
Fri Jan 23 12:57:20 CST 2015

Dick,

I was thinking of metal rods bolted to a plywood or metal base for a coil 16
inches in diameter. Wood dowels would suffice for smaller coils.

Winding the basket weave requires an open-top as you said, but you need to
stop every turn and do the ties, which is probably why the idea has been
ignored.

The tradeoff is time against weight and losses.

It would be easier to wind a coil on a solid form, but the core of the form
will add losses.

The paint-soaked ties at the crossovers provide a place to make the
structure rigid without the form.

After the wet season, I will need to try it myself.

73,

Pat W5THT & WD2XSH/6

  _____