[600MRG] WX De-Tuning 630 Meter Antennas

Frank Lotito k3dz at live.com
Sun Feb 8 17:40:49 CST 2015

For the past few days I have read some interesting 600 mrg posts regarding the effect of weather / ground conductivity on 630 meter antennas.  I assume the investigators all have their 630 meter antenna tuners at or near ground level, at the antenna's feed point.  I further assume the tuners are housed in some sort of "enclosure."  I have a few questions - Is there evidence that condensation, inside or outside the enclosure is not a player in the de-tuning effect?  If the enclosure is somewhat hydroscopic, e.g. wood and certain types of plastics, how far from the main tuning coil / variometer should the enclosure be as to not interact with the magnetic field around the coil? What about the effect of temperature on the mechanical dimensions of the main tuning coil / variometer?