[600MRG] WSPRnet appears to be stable again

John Langridge kb5njd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 13:12:43 CST 2015

Hi Frank,

The main issue appears to be that the admin was out of communication with
pretty much everyone, was not answering emails, etc.,  but was dealing with
some issues sent to him via snail mail.  He got busy with something that
was a higher priority basically.  The larger WSPR community has been
rattling chains for some time now as performance issues increased so there
are a lot of people already trying to communicate with the responsible
parties, possibly even discussions on how to prevent this in the future.

Someone appears to still be working on it as I write this, with a few slow
page loads, but they do seem to load which leads me to believe they are
doing something with the database.  That's conjecture on my part, but it is
working and Im not seeing the connection drops that were present before.
Tonight will be the real test, however.

This system probably became bigger than anyone figured it would years ago,
with a database containing over 300 million records and has become a
valuable tool both for research and marketing of this band  so the people
from that community that are major players probably need to evaluate how to
prevent this from happening n the future.   The website is a convenience
and the patient person can utilize workaround to get through the trouble
but we have attracted a lot of new MF ops through this system so its very
valuable to what we do.

There have been  a lot of volunteers that claims experience and many of us
have offered monetary and hardware resources but until communication lines
are established and we even know who to communicate with, that is tough.

I did send a registered letter to the current main admin with a very
positive, appreciative tone, expressing the importance of this system to
what we do.  Others may have done that as well after Eric, NO3M / WG2XJM,
mentioned doing it in the KST chat two nights ago.  Whether it has any
impact on an obviously busy person  that may not have time to read it is
anyone's guess at this point.  This service is all free of charge and
volunteer based so we are kinda at the admins mercy for the moment.  It
seems some action is in progress, however.

73!

John