[600MRG] Rod Antenna - Coupling Effect

KU4XR ku4xrradio at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 00:28:43 CDT 2015

It took a little while for the memory to kick in here.. I remembered
that I had tried
this antenna setup before, and discovered serious coupling effects from the
Windom antenna.. The same held true tonite... The 250 foot end fed
wire, although
hanging in free space, was providing considerable signal voltage that
the Rod antenna
was coupling to like a pick up coil, and was feeding it to the radio..
at 04:26 UTC,
I grounded the wire antenna; and the receive hit bottom.. I
disconnected all grounding
wires that could remotely act like an antenna, and then re-peaked the
Inductor for
the Rod antenna... now the radio sounds like the antenna is disconnected, and
signals are nil... Barring coupling that is not evident to me; this
should be the best
representation of the passive, very short, ferrite rod antenna
capabilities.. Not quiet
as exciting now, but it is more " real world " I suppose...
The coupling effect could prove useful.. While I had that happening;
the noise was
minimal, the signals were clear, and the buzzing QRN was not there.. Another
round of experimenting might be fun to try...

73 all, and thanks for reading this :

Andy - KU4XR