[600MRG] WSPR and the Ferrire Bar Antenna at KU4XR 8-20-15

KU4XR ku4xrradio at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 17:47:18 CDT 2015

Hi all: I spent the quiet hours of the daytime finding, and positioning the
4 inch, Slug Tunable, Ferrite Bar Antenna in the quietest location within
a few feet of my operating position..It ended up almost directly over my
head mounted to the ceiling.. It is Horizontal, and broadside N/S...
I used the directional capability to null out the ugly powerline buzz..
What resulted was an almost 10 meter like sound on my radio speaker..
A nice hissing sound, with an occassional crackle of static.. The T-storms
were gone last night, and I really was amazed at how many spots I sent
when I checked this morning.. A total of 248 spots, and my DX was WH2XND
with 17 spots.. Last nights results went " beyond " what I expected to receive..
Evidently the quieter location, ( and quieter band ) along with
precise tuning of
the antenna yielded the results.. The purpose of experimenting with the
scavenged antenna was to see if I could make it usable for receive in the
presence of heavy T-storms when no-one would dare connect an outside
antenna... I don't have one, or the desire to build one, but a receive pre-amp
connected to the bar antenna might make a very usable low noise, directional ,
active antenna setup... Best DX to everyone.. 73 for now :

Andy - KU4XR , Friendsville, TN.