[600MRG] Why the "chicken Little" approach

Brian, WA1ZMS wa1zms at att.net
Wed Apr 29 19:57:24 CDT 2015

I think there is plenty of middle ground in guiding those who want to try such new bands.  Any EIRP limits can be estimated in terms of RF power into a given antenna and can be written up for a nice article in QST or QEX.  I'm thinking it would be along the lines of the tables for quickly evaluating MPE limits for all the ham bands already. ie: if on 2m and below 10w stay >2ft from the antenna.

Will there be exceptions? All the time! We can all think of cases where some will push the limits of any EIRP. Either by error thru mis-calculations or by intent. We should not condone the latter, but I highly doubt that given the effort it takes to do real measurements of a random wire antennas on say 630m that finding an EIRP of 7w at an elevation angle of 32degs is going to be high on any FCC enforcement agent's mind. Even if a PLC user has complained. All of the man years of time transmitting by the Part 5 Experimental guys on both bands shows that operations are of little risk to PLC.  I'm sure PLC users will fight it hard. But WRC is "on our side" in that many countries have had these bands for years and I don't think any of them have had PLC issues.

Some details will be complex for some hams. But if a ham throws up a wire and can't hear anything or work anybody in several days.....he may not be "cut out" for LF as it's not really turn-key spectrum even if EIRP was 100w! I'm active on the microwave bands and EME at times. We have restrictions on say 432MHz ERP in Florida. No 100w Mirage amps allowed into a 10-ele yagi even if on FM. You know it happens by those who have not read the finer points of Part 97 and shame on them. But they will learn quickly and do the right thing. Keep it up long enough and the USAF will remind him with a phone call or letter. FCC is not always needed or involved.

A book like the RSGB LF Notebook is a great read and has helped many UK hams get on 137kHz.

Just my thoughts. Hit delete if you want.

73,
-Brian, WA1ZMS, XSH/31, WG2XFQ, and now G8JMO when in the UK!
iPhone