[600MRG] Why the "chicken Little" approach

Warren K2ORS k2ors at verizon.net
Wed Apr 29 19:58:42 CDT 2015

Pat,

	I am not too worried about a deluge of new operators or converted
broadcast transmitters. Most of what I read on QRZ about the prospect of
a low-power band on 472-479 kHz was from hams that thought it was a
complete waste of time and that the ARRL should be 'punished' for
wasting its time advocating for it.

	Given the average age of the amateur population and the mortality rate,
declining technical ability, and the prospect of waiting a couple of
more years for the rule-making to play out, not to mention
ever-increasing noise levels generated by switching supplies and other
junk, I suspect we may already near the peak of 630m activity now.

	It looks like the FCC may take a very cautious approach, and that
potentially  means even lower ERP than allowed in WRC07, this will not
have much appeal to most hams. In a few years, hams may look back on the
days of 600m experimental licenses as the 'golden age of 600m' when the
experimental licenses afforded them greater privileges in terms of
power, frequencies, modes, etc. than the amateur regulations will allow.

	I'm in favor of a 630m (and a 2200m) ham band, but I'll hold on to my
experimental licenses if they let me.

73 Warren K2ORS