[600MRG] WSPRnet database

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Fri Oct 31 03:05:13 CDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 12:36:39PM -0700, Larry wrote:
> Use of "grep" for *nix based platforms and "find" for DOS/windows based
> platforms neatly solves the file size problem, at least until monthly single
> band data exceeds 1 million records.

and

> Possibly a more "universal" solution would be using OpenOffice. Beside being
> platform independent, it's free and most everything you can do in it is
> portable to Microsoft Office. Yes, it would probably limit analysis options,
> and it probably causes IT Pros to scream in agony, but I think it would be
> worth while for someone to pursue.

No, as far as I saw in my testing, OO has the same 1 mega-record limit as
the other utilities we've been talking about. That's why I suggested
sqlite. If you want to do ad-hoc queries it's perfect. If you can find a GUI
it will make life much simpler for individuals. If there is a web-enablement
add-on then it can serve the same role as suggested to be filled by SQL
server, but be much easier to set up and lighter on resources.

Even if not, it would be much easier for individuals to download a single
sqlite database that works on every platform that contains everything and is
manageable without slicing and dicing. As it is with the CSV much additional
processing is required before you can even get started looking at what you
want. The problem with Excel and OO etc. is not the monthly size it is a
general problem of your query returning more than one mega rows.