[600MRG] WSPRnet database

Larry larry at w7iuv.com
Thu Oct 30 14:36:39 CDT 2014

Use of "grep" for *nix based platforms and "find" for DOS/windows based
platforms neatly solves the file size problem, at least until monthly
single band data exceeds 1 million records.

What still remain is the problem of more or less "universal" data
analysis. Those IT analysis professionals can and do deal with this sort
of thing easily but those of us who are not involved with this
technology are at a loss.

I have actually spent a bit of time looking at SQlite, among other
apps/databases, and decided it was going to take far too much of my
limited time to do anything useful with it.

Possibly a more "universal" solution would be using OpenOffice. Beside
being platform independent, it's free and most everything you can do in
it is portable to Microsoft Office. Yes, it would probably limit
analysis options, and it probably causes IT Pros to scream in agony, but
I think it would be worth while for someone to pursue. But it's clear
that won't/can't be me, so any volunteers?

Some data that would be interesting to me (but not necessarily anyone else):

For 475kHz/630m per month:

Total number of unique worldwide reporting stations
Total number of unique worldwide transmitting stations
Total number of unique North American reporting stations
Total number of unique North American transmitting stations
Total number of spots posted by an specified callsign
Total number of spots posted for a specified callsign
Total number of unique reporters for a specified callsign
Total number of unique stations reported by a specified callsign

I'm sure there is a lot more possibilities. I have been able to obtain
some of the above but only by very labor intensive manual sorting
operations and manual counting.

If anyone with better spreadsheet expertise than me has solutions for
the above please don't hesitate to share.

Larry - W7IUV / WH2XGP