[600MRG] WSPRnet database

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Thu Oct 30 13:23:26 CDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 11:44:57AM -0400, Ralph Wallio, W0RPK wrote:

> NOW A QUESTION: Could other LINUX command lines be easily used to similarly
> remove WSPR data points for all other bands to build (approximately) 280k
> .csv data point files for each month?  We EXCEL users could take it from
> there.

Yes, *NIX has several powerful text processing commands and languages built
in. grep has the same (and many more) functions as DOS FIND that Larry
mentioned. You can select records that match this or that string, or
combinations of strings, or match lines that don't contain them. You can
also match (or not) against regexps which are very powerful patterns. And you
can also sort, etc. all from one command line if you combine built-in *NIX
tools with UNIX pipes. This is all very commonly done.

If there are any good GUI interfaces for sqlite that might be a good
database to use for this since it is fast and light and requires very little
administration and is essentially zero-install. The database itself is
portable across a huge number of platforms just by copying it over. No
conversions are necessary from Linux to Windows, etc. It would probably be
more generally useful to come up with one database that people using popular
OS (Windows, Linux, MacOS) could all use than something platform-dependent
like EXCEL or SQL server, etc.