[600MRG] WSPRnet database

Bob & Jane bobjane99 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 31 09:32:33 CDT 2014

Not sure I can add anything to what has already said but here goes.

I downloaded the October file yesterday, so it is not the complete October data.

As stated, there are about 6.4 million records so far and the .csv file is 551
MB when unZipped.

I wrote a Visual Basic program to strip out all but the 600m records. I am down
to 510,150 records and about 50 MB file size.

Then, I stripped out all but USA transmitting stations. Now I am down to 200,487
records and 20 MB file size.

Then I stripped out a few of the fields that I didn't think would be necessary
(only stripped out 4). Of course, I still have 200,487 records but the file size
is now 15 MB.

I have no experience with databases so can't offer any advice there.

Open Office was suggested, but an Internet search indicates that has a limit of
65,536 rows per sheet. 200,000 records is too many.

One possibility (which I haven't tried) is to segment each transmitting stations
records into a separate Excel sheet. My old version of Excel (2000) states the
limit on the number of sheets in a workbook is limited by available computer
memory. Open Office has a limit of 256 sheets per workbook. This would limit the
types of analysis that could be performed.

Bob, WB8ILI