[600MRG] XXM and XSV note

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 27 21:03:31 CDT 2014

>What this indicates to me is folks probably need to clean-up their power supplies to minimize the residual AC-ripple in their power supplies.

Its actually much more complicated than that, Dick.  While its often easy to point fingers at a power supply, its also common when running some DSP systems, noise blankers or noise reduction.  For that matter, weird mixing with errant signals in the passband can also cause this problem.  I've observed very weak fundamental  wspr signals here whose sidebands would probably have been 50 or 60db+ down on a bad day, far below the wspr detection limit yet they sometimes result in decoded sidebands  when there is a lot of "noises"  floating around.  I suspect this involves mixing in the receiver, which in my case works fine but its not the fine quality rx at MF that it is as HF, for example.  Its kinda like the phantom decodes we get when there is trash in the passband.

Finally, I run a pair of very well filtered lab grade linear supplies here for my amps and periodically see dupes show up in the log.  I attribute it to RF getting into audio lines but there is also a seasonal component (seems to happen most around the transition from summer to fall and sping to summer)  that I don't fully understand here.  As its never persistent, I don't worry about it.  It almost always happens when I am +8 or +10 somewhere.  When I was running the remote RX a mile away from my main QTH, I never had harmonics reported by the SDR and I was plenty loud there.  That brings us back to the weird mixing thing in receivers when signals are stout.

73!

John XIQ