[600MRG] Receiver bandwidth for WSPR

Brian Pease bpease2 at myfairpoint.net
Fri Mar 21 13:37:18 CDT 2014

Sure enough, I got the expected bogus results with 20Hz BW!  I moved my
signal to be near the center of the 20Hz BW.  I got -21dB s/n with 400Hz
BW, as expected, but got -7dB and -4dB at 20Hz BW.  Still at 20Hz BW, I
then reduced my WSPR signal by 10dB and got no decodes, as expected,
showing that the s/n is bogus.  I think that WSPR must sampling noise
over the 200Hz WSPR band.  With a 20Hz filter, most of the band has zero
noise, so the noise value is way low.
I now conclude, by actual measurement, that it makes no difference what
BW is used as long as it is >200Hz (as long as there are no strong out
of WSPR band signals to contend with).

>>> 600MRG at w7ekb.com