[600MRG] Receiver bandwidth for WSPR

Brian Pease bpease2 at myfairpoint.net
Fri Mar 21 10:52:27 CDT 2014

WSPR is ~6Hz BW.
I agree with what you say.  I think WSPR looks only over it's 200Hz band
to search for signals and determine the noise level.
I just finished a lab test using a U3 as a WSPR source and my 3586C as
the receiver, with no outside antennas, hence no atmospheric noise.
At -21dB s/n reported by WSPR, there is zero difference in decoded s/n
between 3100Hz and 400Hz receiver bandwidths.
At -3dB and -6dB s/n, the 400Hz BW was very slightly better, perhaps
0.5dB.  I didn't run long enough to get a good average.
I will now try a "real world" test with the real atmospheric and
man-made noise that I have.

>>> 600MRG at w7ekb.com