[600MRG] A better explanation of the need for emcomm fallbackmodes.

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Thu Mar 6 01:38:59 CST 2014

Lee,

My final career, that lasted 15 years, was as a Communications Tech.
for one of three primary Oil Spill Recovery Organizations in
Alaska.  Previous to that I worked over a year as Radio Operator
during the Exxon Valdez oil spill clean up for the OSRO in charge of
Prince William Sound.

One constant in all those exercises and real events was the
unpreparedness of organizations to handle communications.  And I am
talking about the organizational mechanics and not even the technical issues.

The only solution is to learn thru practising on a frequent
basis.  Every oil spill scenario was different and unique in the
communications needed.  One needed to thoroughly know his assets and
be versatile in their deployment.  I was the one individual in my
organization that had that to offer.

Hams, to be of real use, need to become one of these assets and take
part in planning and exercises.

You are correct that most all of us are unprepared to face a Katrina
event.  But for every one of that scope there are tens or twenty
smaller events that are the main business for ICP and emcomm.  It
takes commitment as one can not just show up on "disaster
day"!  Before this I had been a volunteer EMT for a small EMS in a
remote area of Alaska so I had plenty of "being there and doing that".

The CERT program is probably an area hams can get involved and make a
contribution.  Our local club is involved in a an exercise on March
27 called "Alaska Shield" and we will be demonstrating to our
regional gov't entities our abilities to provide alternative comms.

Its 5 o'clock in the morning.  The phone rings.  You have 30-minutes
to put together the radio equipment that you need and get in your
vehicle and head out.  You will not be back home for at least 24
hours - forget something and you fail.

73, Ed - KL7UW