[600MRG] A better explanation of the need for emcomm fallback modes.

sbjohnston at aol.com sbjohnston at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 08:28:14 CST 2014

I would suggest that the practices of "Homeland Security" and industry teams are not a parallel for amateur radio emergency techniques.  Hams offer a ready-to-use system of widely dispersed home and portable stations owned by men and women ready to use and maintain them.  We are the "generalists" of emergency communications, and that's our value.  Unlike the professionals - who tend to put their bets on highly specialized systems to meet the currently popular threats and usually fail to employ adequate technicians to maintain their systems - our operators, gear, and techniques are more flexible and can adapt to unforeseen situations.

630 meters has a role in this - but it should not be limited only to the fancy modes currently in vogue.  And thus my support of CW in the band.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.wd8das.net/
Radio is your best entertainment value.