[600MRG] A better explanation of the need for emcomm fallbackmodes.

Lee Mushel herbert3 at centurytel.net
Wed Mar 5 22:52:57 CST 2014

Gentlemen,

Nine Eleven changed the lives of all of us but the problem is that so few
seem to know "in what way."   Things are not at all what they used to
be---even five years ago.   I would suggest that everyone find a local
person who is an Incident Command System "COML" (communications leader)
and/or "COMT" "communications technician" and ask him to speak at a club or
organization meeting.   Classes are infrequently given for the Auxiliary
Communicator people and that is the one that ties ham radio to the ICS.
Homeland Security has done a lot of work setting up a system to provide
great emergency communications systems but very few people seem to know
anything about it and the ICS 100 and 700 classes are really nothing but a
basic start.

My XYL frequently hears me mumbling to myself about the state of emergency
communications today and has commented to me that if I'm right about even a
tiny bit of this we are no where near ready to handle a Katrina-like crisis.
I think she's right.  There is much learning to be done.

73

Lee   K9WRU