[600MRG] double reporting of strong wspr signals

Brian Pease bpease2 at myfairpoint.net
Wed Mar 5 09:36:09 CST 2014

I tend to believe that my occasional sideband reports are on the
receiving end.  I have looked for my +/-60Hz sidebands at my amp output
with a spectrum analyzer, and cannot see them even though (with
averaging) the noise level is 50dB below the carrier.  The noise appears
to be phase noise from the DDS, as it is also -50dB at the sine wave
output of the DDS, and is well above the analyzer noise.  The reported
sidebands show up as only 20-25dB below the carrier.
The output power of my U3 (into 50 Ohms) on 137kHz increased from 110mW
to 460mW when I increased C5, the coupling cap between amp and output
filter from .01uf to 0.1uf.  I have three BS170s running on 5VDC.