[600MRG] double reporting of strong wspr signals

Dave lf at g4fre.com
Tue Mar 4 22:36:42 CST 2014

Tests over the last few years show Its usually due to non linearities in the
soundcard. You will see the 120(and 100Hz) sideband reports fairly often on
the wsprnet.org reports on all the hf bands. It has been seen on decodes as
low as 0dB

Even ground isolation transformers doesn't stop it

Experiment has shown that even running the transmitter off DC (eg lead acid
cell) you will still the "sideband" effects in the receiver, even when using
a better spec soundcard (eg d44 or the edirol). The worst experience was
with a $7 chinese USB soundcard where the main signal and the 2 "sidebands"
were equal amplitude, which gave the wspr decoding software a headache

Dave

Ww2r