[600MRG] Last night at WD2XSH/20

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 20 14:52:11 CDT 2014

certainly WSQ has merit.  Using it conversationally, it would be a trade off between detection depth and speed.  If you could make the QSO / have a ragchew at faster speeds because condx warrant, its probably just smarter to do that.  I think a lot of guys, particularly your average op, would probably get bored and go watch TV.  Thats only my opinion, however.  Most of us are much more motivated and ambitious about this stuff than that and thats why we are here.

In a recent discussion on the ON4KST logger, the focus went to DX QSO's..  I won't go into my philosophy on this again here as you can go over there and read the archive from thursday morning on that topic if you are interested but there might be some merit using WSQ for report-only QSO's, much like JT9.  WSQ is not setup to show S/N IIRC, but one could implement the same letter system / timing cycles the EME guys use(d) to confirm each exchange... It would be simple to send a string of a letter in the same fashion they use(d) for EME to denote a report, etc, and due to the randomness of the trash characters that show up from noise could certainly be proof positive that a report was received.

I still have my issues with the ZL1EE/ZL!BPU interfaces.  While a German did make some mods to allow audio freq selection from the waterfall like PSK31, I dont know that it ever caught on.  The lack of working CAT control is another one of my personal issues with the program.

73!

John XIQ