[600MRG] 630m ground-wave testing - we need more than anecdotal comments

Ralph Wallio, W0RPK W0RPK at netins.net
Mon Jan 6 11:18:35 CST 2014

Anecdotal comments by 630m experiment participants will have very little
impact on emergency communications planning by ARRL Amateur Radio
Emergency Service leaders.  They will need fully documented results from
numerous expertly designed and executed 630m ground-wave propagation
experiments. During my reign of terror as a former ARES EC, then DEC,
then SEC for ARRL's Iowa Section, I would not have considered applying a
radio communications band and propagation based solely on anecdotal
comments. However, if we go to the effort to prove the reliability of
630m ground-wave coverage, current ARES leaders will seriously consider
applying it for regional emergency communications.

Our ARRL 500kc Experiment coordinator Fritz Raab, W1FR, documented early
630m ground-wave experiments in his paper, "Tests of ground-wave
communication at 500 kHz during winter 2010 - spring 2011", which is
available via http://500kc.com/downloads/RN11-16.pdf. Tests in the
upper-Midwest used WSPR to understand midday ground-wave SNR performance
and then repeated digital transmissions to gather character-error-rate
performance for digital modes allowed to WD2XSH licensees.  The transmit
station for these tests was designed for portable operation, see
http://showcase.netins.net/web/wallio/WD2XSH-34.htm.

Interesting additional findings from these tests included, first,
extensive and precision testing between WD2XSH/34 and John Fickes,
KC0BMF, a ~20-mile path, used WSPR and digital modes to find required
SNR for acceptable character-error-rates.  Performance of modes BPSK31,
requiring -11dBsnr, and BPSK10, requiring -17dBsnr, was found to be very
close to that given by MultiPSK author F6CTE in his very extensive
Handbook.  These testing methods need to be extended to other digital
modes, especially those with forward-error-correction.  See John
Andrew's, W1TAG, extensive discussion via
http://www.w1tag.com/600M_Modes.htm.

Second, Chris Sparks, KC0TKS, used WSPR data via our 190-mile 630m
ground-wave path to understand how E-Probe receive antenna reception
improves when height is above all close residential structures.  His
630m WSPR performance improved 5dB when Chris increased height of his
DIY PA0RDT E-Probe antenna from 10ft to 20ft AGL.  The magnitude of this
improvement needs further testing and documentation by others.  (My
reception in Iowa of WD2XSH/20 back during September 2006 using my
minimal DIY E-probe antenna --- inside our garage with significant
signal loss --- is a testament to the high quality of Rudy's early 630m
station.)

TNX es 73 de Ralph Wallio, W0RPK
http://showcase.netins.net/web/wallio/