[600MRG] /20 transmit antenna

Rudy Severns n6lf at epud.net
Tue Feb 11 12:20:35 CST 2014

I've learned to have great regard for icing on large wire antennas!  The
antenna itself was undamaged.  The problem was the soil, it was very soft
and the forces at the top of the poles was great enough to move the base a
bit causing the poles to tip out of position just enough to detune the
antenna.  The problem is there's an 80' lever arm on one side of the fulcrum
(the top of the pipe at ground level) and 7' on the other so there's a lot
of force right at the top of the pipe at the ground surface.

I've since pushed and shimmed the poles back to vertical but I still need to
fuss a bit compacting the soil around the bases.  The poles went up last
summer and we had a very dry fall and early winter so the soil backfill
hadn't really consolidated.  At the last QTH where I had much larger poles I
put a concrete ring around the base at ground level.  I wanted to avoid that
here but maybe I'll have to do it.

I'll be fiddling with the antenna for a while before I get back on the air.
I may even redesign it to have a lot less horizontal wire up in the air.
Not that we expect such a storm anytime soon but who knows??

73, Rudy