[600MRG] XXM "Event"

John Langridge jlangridge at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 1 12:33:26 CST 2014

>One more question; I keep seeing a few reports your signal show up in
the middle of the day (12PM to 2PM, 19Z to 21Z). I'm a bit over 500
miles away and this violates most of what I thought I understood about
propagation. Does anyone have an explanation?

I've actually heard many loud very distant NDB's during winter (last winter specifically) in and around the 400 KHz region around midday and early afternoon.  I recall one instance of hearing one from Winnipeg in December 2012 and was pretty shocked.  I had a similar experience with one in the Carolinas around the same time.  I suspect the same mechanism is at play...

It will be interesting and probably some other mechanism at play if you experience the same during midsummer...

John