[600MRG] Coil tap clip

Edward R Cole kl7uw at acsalaska.net
Sun Dec 14 16:26:11 CST 2014

Hmm,

All very interesting.  I recall the tap clips on HF Marine antenna
tuners were as described.  MY HB loading coil my taps are soldered in
place after using an alligator clip to find the proper position while
reading complex Z with my modified MFJ-269B analyzer.  I just tuned
for resonance, i.e. Z = R +jminimum to place the tap.   Then measured
for Z = 50 near the ground end of the coil to tap off to match RG-213
(about 2-1/2 turns).  Z = 50 +j0 only exists at the lower tap and not
at the end of the 100-foot coax so I suspect some common-mode
currents even though I use four ferrites on the coax at the tap
end.  Transmitter load is close enough at about SWR < 1.5 and RF
ammeter runs 1.4v with 100w output.  The RF current does not shift
much between the antenna and using a 50-ohm load as termination (thus
supporting the SWR reading).   So I solder em!

I have three taps installed at present as the inverted-L shifted
impedance when I shortened the top by 8-feet a couple years
ago.  Currently its on the ground awaiting a repair from Moose
dragging and breaking one line.

73, Ed