[600MRG] Distance from powerline question

NMF nmf.marshfield at verizon.net
Tue Dec 9 18:54:13 CST 2014

An easy noise meter is a hand held portable AM receiver tuned to bottom
of dial where there is no station...
Terminate the audio out jack into a diode detector into a medium time
constant R and across a DC milliammeter...
With speaker only is good for roaming around to find noisy field and
with meter to find most quiet location...
Out back and into the woods most of the noise detected goes away at
about 400 feet...
A portable selective receiver with a preamp and e-probe does a bit better...

The TX/RX antenna here for 630M to 10M is a 600' vertical loop NE/SW (
250' X 70' ) terminated directly at the house ( no feed line ) so I
suffer some house noise, however, the power line runs NE from here so I
feel that the AC lines which end up near the ocean over a mile away is
like looking into a 'wave' antenna terminated into this loop... It picks
up some noise but a lot more signal...

Going into the woods out back with an E-Probe antenna is good but not
near what the loop is hearing...
Same for the 1000' Beverage...
Also I must be careful not to couple the house AC neutral noise out
along the feed to the e-probe, but to use
transformers and balanced line along the ground out to there including
one transformer break with a
ground rod on one side to keep the house noise down to minimum...
It then works well but not like the loop, especially at 17.2KC...
The antenna way out back in the woods and the loop then each feed a
noise balance whizbang input and then you have a real directional RX
antenna, or maybe a noise avoidance null... For instance I can tune 560
in Portland and tweak the phaser for Portland or Springfield alternately
nulling either station out completely and switching the polarity to hear
only one of the stations on the same frequency at a time...
search: Dallas Lankford low noise antennas

TNX from Dave WD2XSH/17